For a writer, plagiarism is a sin. It destroys the credibility of the writer, lowers SEO ranking potential of the content & can invite legal trouble as well. But how about if you inadvertently plagiarize your content? Is there a way to make sure this does not happen? Well, with an online plagiarism checker, you can easily check plagiarism for free and ensure that your work is unique. This will not only help you build your worth as a credible content creator but also ensure your text ranks higher on Google.
What is a plagiarism checking tool?
The advent of the World Wide Web has made information freely available to all. With so much content flowing continuously across websites, it is quite easy for people to steal other people’s work and pass them off as their own.
This act of copying content from its original source is called plagiarism.
A plagiarism checking tool is a web application that helps in identifying instances of copied content. These tools are extensively used in the content marketing and academic industries since plagiarism is a big no-no in such spheres. It ensures that the text you’re writing is free from any sort of copied content.
In this age of internet, it is highly advised to use a plagiarism detection software in order to avoid copyright issues. They also ensure that your text is free of duplicate content before you publish.
How does an online plagiarism checker work?
The modern day plagiarism checkers use artificial intelligence and automated algorithms to analyze your content and throw results if they find similar content on the web using Google and other search engines.
The three main ways these online tools work are –
1. By copy pasting your data into their tool – It is the simplest method used by many tools that allow to check plagiarism for free. In this method, there is usually a cap on the number of words that you can analyze at a time (~1000 words).
2. By providing content URL – Many tools allow you to submit the URL of your page that you want it to compare. The tool analyzes the entire content of the webpage document and provides you with the result.
3. By uploading the content document – The third method involves uploading the content file into the tool post which it analyzes the content. This method is seen primarily in premium versions, while some free plagiarism checkers may also allow you to upload.
Most of the popular tools available on the web provide all three types of inputs, with content copying and pasting being the most widely offered free method.
5 tools you can use to check plagiarism for free
Now that we are clear what a plagiarism checker is and why is it important to use them, let us delve deeper into the 5 famous tools that allow users to check plagiarism for free.
1. Small SEO Tools – Plagiarism Checker
One of the biggest names in free SEO analysis is that of Small SEO Tools. They offer a plethora of free to use programs that enhance the SEO of your content.
One of their offerings is the online plagiarism checker. It gives users the option to check up to 1000 words for plagiarism absolutely free. The checker provides robust analysis and the results are widely accepted by the content creators, faculties & students all over the world.
A few notable features of the plagiarism checker are –
- Embedded option to help you re-write any plagiarized section of the content to ensure originality.
- Option to submit URLs or upload the content to their portal for analysis.
- Quick search with the click of a button.
- Accepts input file in multiple formats (.txt, .pdf, .docx, etc.)
- Ability to view the results with which your copy matched.
- Multilingual support for up to 10 languages.
- Option to download the plagiarism report. This is a good feature for the freelance writers since they can submit a proof of content uniqueness to their clients while submitting their work.
- WordPress Plugin to help bloggers check plagiarism on the go.
- Detailed plagiarism percentage score to help understand the results.
In our opinion, this is the best source available to check plagiarism for free on the internet.
DupliChecker is another website offering online plagiarism checker similar to above.
Like SmallSEOTools, they also offer many SEO based functionalities like backlink checker, domain authority checker, etc. for free.
The major features of their plagiarism detector are –
- Guaranteed privacy by removing submitted content from their database post report generation.
- A comprehensive percentage score describing the amount of plagiarism in the text.
- Multilingual support.
- Deep scanning feature with comprehensive coverage.
- AI based technology to even detect similarity in paraphrased content.
- Reporting options with support for both Word and PDF reports.
Similar to above, you can check 1000 words for free. However, for larger search requirements, they offer a Pro membership.
Using Pro, you can do a deeper search for up to 10,000 words, and get dedicated support from them for any queries.
Another renowned name in the world of plagiarism detection is Plagium. Their proprietary mining engine allows them to perform deep web mining to check for plagiarism.
The tool is famous among the academic circles, with students preferring this tool to analyze their assignments or papers.
Plagium’s service is more inclined towards a premium offering, with their free text analysis offering only up to 1000 characters.
For anything above that, they have affordable plans starting from as low as $0.04 / INR 2 per page that can be availed by signing up and paying for credits.
With over 5 million users, Quetext is our next entrant in the list. Their proprietary DeepSearch Technology allows the tool to scan over billions of pages on the World Wide Web and provide accurate results.
The service is trusted by freelancers, teachers and students across the globe who regularly use it to check plagiarism in their text.
Some salient features of the checker are –
- Comprehensive score helping you understand the similarity results.
- Interactive snippet viewer allowing you to easily navigate through the matched content & understand its source.
- ColorGrade Feedback that helps differentiate “near match”, “exact match” & “fuzzy match” in the text.
In order to use their services, you need to create a profile. Once done, you can run reports for up to 2500 words for free.
However, if you want to use their proprietary features, then you will have to upgrade to their Pro plans which start from $9.99/month.
A discussion on plagiarism cannot be complete without the mention of CopyScape.
Launched in 2004, it is one of the oldest and best plagiarism scanner available in the market. The service is so accurate that their references have been used in court cases in the US with respect to copyright infringement.
The plagiarism checker has been extensively used by content marketers, universities & student bodies alike to ensure 100% uniqueness in their work. Many agencies even have the requirement for their freelancers to pass CopyScape in order for their content to be accepted.
CopyScape offers a free plagiarism check wherein you just have to enter the URL of the content you wish to check. However, for advanced features, you will need to purchase credits. The pricing starts as low as 3c per search (up to 200 words) with added options like checking an entire website using batch submissions.
Some major features are –
- Helps identify instances of plagiarism and raise dispute with the site copying your content (website content only).
- API based integration for automated analysis, making it easy to track plagiarism on the go
- Multiple account linkages to help agencies manage & track their editor’s usage of the service.
There is no question to how important original content is. Be it a research paper, a blog or any other form of content, copying will never yield good results.
If you’re a blogger / content marketer and are looking to make an impact in this highly competitive space, then avoiding plagiarism has to be on the top of your list.
With one of the services detailed above, it is simple to check plagiarism for free and publish / submit your content without any worries. They can be further used to track the content for any plagiarism in future and to take necessary actions.
Therefore, you must include one plagiarism checking service in your content analysis checklist before publishing.
We hope that this article will provide you the means and ideas to avoid plagiarism in your work. Do let us know which service works the best for you!!
If you have any other suggestions for online plagiarism checkers, then we would love to hear from you in the comments down below.
Want to analyze your content for grammar, SEO & other metrics? Refer to these top 5 content analyzers.
The editorial & admin team of Write it Right, helping to produce good quality, engaging and awesome content for the readers.
1 thought on “5 Tools to check plagiarism for free”
This content was really informative to understand the importance of the original content, above mentioned SEO tools, will be helpful for me in composing any kind of content.